Lawrence Weston is one of 150 areas that’s been awarded £1 million from Big Local.
What is Big Local?
Big Local is an exciting opportunity for residents in 150 areas around England to use at least £1m to make a massive and lasting positive difference to their communities. It’s about bringing together all the local talent, ambitions, skills and energy from individuals, groups and organisations who want to make their area an even better place to live. Big Local is funded by the Big Lottery Fund and managed by Local Trust.
Big Local outcomes
- Communities will be better able to identify local needs and take action in response to them.
- People will have increased skills and confidence, so that they continue to identify and respond to needs in the future.
- The community will make a difference to the needs it prioritises.
- People will feel that their area is an even better place to live.
What’s it not about?
- It’s NOT about your local authority, the government or a national organisation telling you what to do.
- It’s NOT about individual groups fixing their favourite problem without talking to a wide range of different people who live and work in the community.
- It’s NOT about short-term thinking – you’ve got 10 years or more to plan and deliver the best options for your area.
Big Local community grant pot
Our Big Local Representative
“My name is Ian Smith and I am pleased and proud to be Lawrence Weston’s Big Local Rep. Following up on the great work of my colleague Dominic Murphy, I am supporting the Big Local steering group and Ambition Lawrence Weston in delivery of the resident-led Big Local Plan. This is a key part of the Lawrence Weston Community Plan. The Big Local Plan is all about making Lawrence Weston an even better place to live. Lawrence Weston Big local is run by residents for residents, in partnership with many organisations, agencies and professionals. Like all Big local programmes, it aims to equip residents to identify issues and opportunities in the community and then help them to make a lasting positive difference in the area”
Our Bigger Story
Our Bigger Story is a multimedia evaluation of Big Local which aims to record positive change in Big Local areas and understand how those changes come about and how they can be sustained.
Led by the Third Sector Research Centre (TSRC) at the University of Birmingham, the team will be working with 15 Big Local areas across England to record change as it happens – change in individuals and in Big Local communities as a whole.
To see our story visit Our Bigger Story